September 22, 2014

I Am Ashamed

"Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,"
2 Timothy 1:8

How often do we back down from sharing Christ's sacrifice with others? We always have an excuse. It wasn't the right time. They wouldn't have listened. I didn't know what to say.  We say to ourselves that we are not ashamed of our belief, but we are afraid of how others will think of us when they know the depths of our faith. And that is being ashamed.

I am ashamed of the testimony of our Lord...

What suffering would we endure today? Lack of Respect? Sideways glances at the water cooler? Ridicule?  How does that compare to what Timothy and the Apostles went through? Jail? Beatings? Torture? Death? And those things didn't just happen in the Apostle's time. There are Christians dying for their faith in Sudan, Iraq, and China. I have a friend who was a missionary in China who at least once had his bags packed to leave at a moment's notice because the police were asking everyone around him about his activities. How small I feel when I compare the fear of possible ridicule to others fear for their family's life and safety.

I am ashamed of my shame and fear...

No comments: