September 21, 2014

Fan the Flame

"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands,"
2 Timothy 1:6

I know I've asked God to increase my desire for the Word. To build up the fire in me. But that is not his job. He has placed in us the spark. And we are to cultivate that spark. It is up to us to build the fire. 

We won't have to do it alone. There will be people that help us protect the spark when it is small and fragile. Some will tend the fire with us. Some will give us fuel when it looks like the fire is dying. And we will do the same for others.

That doesn't mean we don't do our part in building the fire. We can't rely on others to build, tend and maintain our fire. It is OUR fire. And it will take time. A good fire isn't started with gasoline. That will burn out too quickly. You start with tinder. Slowly feed it twigs and sticks. Then put on the logs. Then you have a fire that will that will last. 

Spend time with God in prayer and study.  Meditate on His Truth.  Worship Him with everything you do.  Build up that spark until it is a roaring bonfire that jumps and spreads onto others.

No comments: