January 24, 2011

Momentum

Most people think of momentum and they think of keeping in motion.  If you're riding you bike and you stop pedaling you'll still be moving.  But you will slow down.  If you don't start pedaling again you'll come to a stop.  And once you've stopped you're going to experience a whole new type of momentum.  The tendency of an object to stay at rest.  From experience, it's easier to start pedaling again if your bike is still moving than if you've come to a stop.

I bring this up because the momentum of my blog has definitely been the tendency to stay at rest.  I got distracted and got away from writing and expressing myself.  With two toddlers at home it can be easy to get distracted.  And the longer I stayed in my lack of motion the harder it was to get moving again.  I needed a push...

Enter Finding True Balance  Nothing like your wife starting her own blog to give a push :-)

So how does this apply to my spiritual life?  I am trying to keep that the focus of this blog, right?  Well, how often have you woken up for the day and said to yourself "I'm going to skip reading the Bible today and get an extra 20-30 minutes of sleep."  Then you get up the next day and say the same thing.  And the next day... and the next day...  Let's just say that my bible ready has been more inconsistent than my blog writing.  

So where do I go from here?  It's time to make a commitment.  A jumpstart in two parts.  For the next two weeks I'm going to read my bible every morning and then write a post on what I read that morning.  Depending upon the time I have left before I leave for work I may have to just say "I read Genesis Chapter 7-8.  Tell you about it later."  But I hope to have a little more than that each day.  Hopefully after those two weeks I'll be able to keep pedaling.  So until tomorrow.

No comments: