January 25, 2011

Jump Start

Genesis 9-10

Have you ever thought about why God put the rainbow in the sky as a reminder of his covenant?  I remember the Sunday School stories and being told it was to remind us of God's promise to never flood the earth again.  But that's not what God said it was for.

"And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud, and I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh."
Genesis 9:14 - 15

God put the rainbow there to remind Himself of His promise!  He knew that we would again become wicked and His heart would again become grieved.  He would again want to flood the earth.  But He loved us so much to make a vow that He would not break with a constant reminder to Himself of that vow.  And I'm certain it's constant.  

Somewhere on the planet Earth the rain has just finished and the sun is shining through the mist.  Somewhere a beautiful rainbow is stretching across the sky.  Somewhere, God is reminding Himself of His Love for us!

No comments: