October 26, 2010

Small Decisions

"So since Christ suffered in the flesh for us, for you, arm ourselves with the same thought and purpose, patiently to suffer rather than fail to please God.  For whoever has suffered in the flesh, having the mind of Christ, is done with intentional sin, has stopped pleasing himself and the world, and pleases God.  So that he can no longer spend the rest of his natural life living by his human appetites and desires, but he lives for what God wills."
1 Peter 4:1-2
I know I have made choices that don't please God.  And why do I do that?  Because it pleases my flesh.  It make me feel good.  Do I need to stop for coffee and doughnuts on my way to work?  No.  I need to lose weight.  But the doughnuts taste so good.  If I don't get up early to study God's Word before work I can get 30-45 extra minutes of sleep.  Saying the sarcastic comment that's on the tip of my tongue will sure make me feel good.  But will it help my Christian witness with my unsaved co-worker?  No matter how great or small the choice we come to a point where we have to decide between our will and God's will, and your flesh battles against what God is asking you to do.

It always seems easier in the big questions.  When I finished my degree I could have started the job hunt, but I felt like God was calling me to got to Rhema Bible Training Center.  So I moved to Tulsa and lived as a poor student for a couple more years rather than finding a job and "getting started with my life."  It was hard, but I know that I pleased God with that decision.  It's the daily small decisions that I constantly find myself choosing to please my flesh instead of pleasing God.

Getting up early to study God's Word is the perfect example.  I already get up early for work.  During the week I'm rarely in bed at 5:00 AM.  The sleep I lose by getting up 30 minutes early is valuable.  But how valuable?  Is it worth failing to please God?  To be honest, I've been valuing sleep more than pleasing God.  I've used the argument that I could study later in the day, at work, or before bed.  But that never happens.  It's too easy to get distracted at work.  And when I get home I need to spend time with family.  Then it's time to eat.  Then I need to relax with my wife.  Then it's time for bed.  At some point I must sacrifice.  And I won't sacrifice necessary time with my wife and kids.  But I will sacrifice 30 minutes of  sleep because I want to please God.  But that is just one of the many small choices.  I need to start making more decision like getting out of bed early this morning.

So today I start with a question for myself, "Will you please yourself or please God?"  And today I make this commitment and confession.  "I will patiently suffer rather than fail to please God.  I will stop pleasing myself.  I will please God." 

No comments: