August 17, 2010

A Purpose

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not  to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Jeremiah 29:11

 

On the way to work this morning I started thinking about a car accident I almost had in college.  I got distracted when I thought I saw someone I knew.  After staring for several seconds to convince myself that it was them I looked back to the road.  There was a car stopped directly in front of me turning left.  I didn’t even have time to brake.  I spun the wheel to the right, then the left and around the car I went, barely missing a mailbox in the process.

 

My hands gripped the steering wheel.  I should have hit that car.  It seemed like my car had moved contrary to the laws of physics to shoot around a car that I should have rear-ended at full speed.  How had I not hit that car?  The only explanation was God.  To this day I fully believe that an angel pushed my car around the other car.

 

As I was thinking about this I suddenly heard these words in my spirit, “I saved you for a purpose.”  I was stunned.  I didn’t know what to say or think.  I turned off the radio and tried to collect my thoughts.  I was afraid to say anything for fear of saying something wrong.  God saved me for a purpose?

 

Some perspective…  I believe that God orders your steps and will lead you in life.  And there have been times that I’ve felt that God was leading me in certain directions.  I would know in my heart what decision or action I should make in a situation.  But in those times I just had a feeling or an inclination.  Even when I moved from Indianapolis to St Louis it was just a feeling.  I knew it was something that God wanted me to do.  This was different.  I felt words spoken into my heart.  For the first time that I can remember I feel like God truly spoke to me.

 

Even now I feel the impact of those words.  I know that for some time now I’ve been lax in my spiritual walk.  I haven’t been studying God’s Word as I should.  I haven’t been praying as I should.  I haven’t been growing in my walk with God.  I’ve been floating and adrift.  I’ve felt useless.  And despite all of this, God still has a purpose for me.

 

I have changes to make in my life.  I will pray and study God Word with fervor.  I will let go of the cynicism and sarcasm in my heart and replace it with God’s Love.  I will do everything in my power to truly reflect God’s Love in my daily walk.  I will prepare my mind and heart to fulfill the purpose God has for me.

 

When I am ready God will direct my steps in a new direction.  It may or may not be soon.  It may or may not be a direction I expect.  But I will be ready.

3 comments:

nikkitodd1999 said...

I needed to hear that too, Jason.

Unknown said...

Well said. You must have some great genes from you Mom. Dad

Anonymous said...

Jason, thanks for commenting on my blog. It's funny that I got delayed in responding because the message I heard this last Sunday was exactly what you posted about here. We were saved for a purpose that existed before we did! Awesome. I'll be seeing you around, Jason.