May 25, 2010

If you don't work, you don't eat

I didn’t intend to mix politics and religion on this blog.  But who am I kidding?  It was probably inevitable.  So here goes...

Since when has it become Christian to let our government take care of our call to help the widows and orphans?

I heard stories in the news about a “Christian Leader”, someone I've never heard of, saying it is our obligation as Christians to support government programs such as unemployment benefits and welfare.  They said that opposing these government programs is un-Christian.  As Christians we should help anyone and everyone in any way that we can.  If that means paying more in taxes to support these government programs then so be it.  We are helping the poor.  That is what Christ told us to do.  Or is it?

I don't have any issues with helping out a person who is down on their luck.  People fall on hard times and just need some help to weather the storm, get their feet back on the ground and move forward.  But who should be responsible for that help?  Should this aspect of charity be the responsibility of our government?  I don't think so.   Yet, recently Congress passed a law extending unemployment benefits.  If you lose your job, you can receive a check for doing nothing other than “looking for work” for almost two years.  TWO YEARS!  Should it really take two years to find a job?
 

Maybe it can take two years to find a job.  What are some excuses reasons that it would take 2 years to find a job?  “I can't find a job that pays enough.”  “I can't find the right job.”  “I need time to focus.”  “No one will hire me.”  I’m sorry but I don’t buy it.  I may be a little cynical but I think the main reason is “The government is giving me money for doing nothing.”  That money doesn't magically appear in the government's back account to supply your family food, shelter, cell phones, cable TV and Internet while you take your time looking for the perfect job.  It’s coming from the taxes we pay.  That I pay.  Especially if you have a family you better be willing to man up and bring some food to the table.  I don't care if the job pays minimum wage.  Minimum wage is still more than no wage.

But I’m not being loving enough.  As a Christian I'm supposed to love my neighbor.  If I'm not willing to support you while you take your time to find the right job I am not walking in Christ’s love.  Let's be blunt.  WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!  What does scripture say?  2 Thessalonians 3:10 “For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.”  If you haven't figured it out from the title of this post, this is how I interpret this scripture:  If you don't work, you don't eat.  Yes, that sounds harsh.  But if you're willing to work at something, anything, you will have work to do.  It may be picking up handyman jobs.  It could be flipping burgers at McDonald's.  It could be volunteering at your church or local soup kitchen.  If you are willing to work there is something out there for you to do.  And if you are working at something, anything, God will provide for you.

Last year while my wife was pregnant she had to go on modified bed rest.  Suddenly our income was not going to be enough and I had to find another job to make ends meet.  And it had to be a job that would work around my full-time job.  In about a month I was working at a retail auto parts store.  To put this in perspective, the most complicated thing I had done to any car at that point was change the oil.  I did not know cars.  So in a working environment where almost 10% of the country is out of work, I was able to find a 2nd job selling something that I knew almost nothing about.  And to top it off I was part of the management team.  There is work out there to be had.  You just have to be willing to do something you don't want to do for less money than you want to get paid.

But wait!  Jesus fed the hungry, right?  He took the loaves and fishes and fed the multitudes!  So why don't you want to help someone who needs it?  Yep, Jesus fed the hungry.  HE fed them!  He didn’t pass the buck to the government, HE FED THEM!  If you know someone in need you fill that need.  You don’t direct them to the nearest welfare office to pick up your charity check.  And it is not always their immediate need that you should be focusing on.  They may be hungry and want food.  But they need a way to make sure that they don’t become hungry again.  Remember the old proverb.  If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day.  If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.  So if you’re hungry and I truly want what is best for you am I going to give you a fish and walk away because my obligation as a Christian is satisfied?  Or am I going teach you to fish?  Am I going to take care of the need the you have right now or am I going to teach you to take care of that need for the rest of you life?

Now that I’ve finished ranting I have some challenges for you:

If you don’t agree with me: Tell me why!  Give me scripture and verse and show me I’m wrong.

If you have a job:  Help someone who doesn’t.  Take them to dinner.  Give them money for their bills.  If they’re a single parent, watch their kids while they go on job interviews.  Instead of passing the buck to the welfare system, get involved and help someone.  This isn't about not helping people.  This is giving people the help they need.

If you don’t have a job:  Do Something!  Anything!  Don’t sit around and don’t feel sorry for yourself.  Man up!  If all you can find is part time work and you need full time work, get two part time jobs.  If you need $15 an hour and all you can find is $10 an hour work for $10 an hour until you find a job for $15 an hour.  If the only work you can find is to volunteer at church cleaning the toilets then humble yourself and clean the toilets.  Put your hand to something.  One place you can volunteer right now is in Nashville.  Go to  serviceinternational.org to find out about flood relief trips.

No comments: